Sunday, December 1, 2013

"I love being a missionary! What more can I say?"

Hello hello! How are you all doing today?

We were very sad to find out that Hermana W was leaving us last week :( I love her so much!!! And miss her already. What we did not know, is that we were getting a new companion! Her name is Hermana A, and she is my first native companion! Well kind of. Her parent's are from Mexico, but she was born and raised in Texas.  So she knows English but she is hispanic.
I love serving state-side! The Hispanics like to celebrate Thanksgiving here. It's probably the one time I'll ever eat turkey on my mission! Our ward put together a Thanksgiving dinner last night. It was so fun! They asked me that day to play the piano the entire time. Gah! Luckily, they're all very nice and don't mind mistakes every once and a while in the music :) We sang "Because I have been Given Much", and then the missionaries sang "I Stand All Amazed". We watched a talk from President Monson, and then the feasting began! Hermana Ar, another Hermana in the ward, was very kind and helped me on the piano. We would take turns playing two songs at a time, while the other one ate some delicious thanksgiving dinner
And of course, there were some miracles
Since the Thanksgiving dinner was a couple hours after church, in order to be miles-savvy we stayed up in Stafford and decided to visit some less actives. So we go to a less-active's house, and her husband opens the door! Her husband is a nonmember and we've never met him before because he just hides away in the basement whenever we come over. He was super friendly and stayed and talked with us for a couple minutes, even though his wife was not home so he could have easily shut the door on us. As we talked to him, his wife came home with the rest of the family! They let us in, and all sat down to talk to us! The rest of the family is usually like the husband, too, hiding away. So this was huge! We sang "How Great Thou Art" and without hymnbooks, they all joined in! Even the husband! The Spirit was so strong. We shared a scripture, and the Spirit just took over and some of the family members bore their testimony. At the end, we invited them to come to the Thanksgiving dinner. And they came!!!! They had a great time, and the husband talked to pretty much everyone there. It was amazing! At the end, the wife came over to us and promised to come to church next week.
I love being a missionary. What more can I say?
So directly translated from Spanish to English, Thanksgiving becomes "the action of thanks." I just love that concept! As you all join together this week and make your fun plans to celebrate this wonderful holiday, I hope you all take some time to turn thanks-giving into an action. What can you do to show your thanks? to your family? to your friends? to the Lord?
I hope you all have a wonderful time and eat lots of turkey!
A Dios!

Hermana Albright

Heidi and her district on P-day (preparation day)

Heidi found an old friend

Christmas decorations are going up!

Old companion trio

Heidi and her companion that left

new companion trio

No comments:

Post a Comment