Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Week of Firsts


So I have decided that every day, and thus every week, in the mission is best described as weird.  Haha but I love it so much and there are so many great things to be found in every day! This week had a lot "firsts" in it, which were crazy, fun, miraculous, and heart-wrenching.

First baptismal date! One of our investigators committed to baptism! President Wilson challenged us to be inviting to be baptized in every meeting with every person.  That has really been a challenge for us, because it is such a personal decision and we don't want to be forcing it on them or be annoying. But as we have been working hard to do what he (and what God) has asked of us, we have really felt the Spirit, and had some great experiences! Including this one. I'm so excited for her, she is really focusing on doing what the Lord wants her to do.  She is so amazing.

First real drop. (aw! Sorry Heidi!)  One of our investigators has been loving the glorious news of the Gospel and the Plan of Salvation.  Her mom just died and she has found great joy in the knowledge that she can be with her again.  However, she is renting a room from her sister, and takes care of her sister's kids pretty much all day, every day.  Her sister apparently didn't know we were coming over, and found out last week.  Because she doesn't know us, she doesn't want us coming over and teaching which totally makes sense and I'm so glad to hear that she is worried about what her kids are learning. It was so sad though, because our investigator wants to continue to learn with us. She has a Book of Mormon and all the pamphlets though, so she will continue reading and learning and growing closer to God

First exchanges! (Exchanges are when the missionaries go out for the day with someone who is not their companion.) So Sister Training Leaders go on exchanges with us, just like the Zone Leaders do with the Elders.  So much fun! I learned so much from Hermana B (Hermana is sister in spanish).  Then, halfway through our exchange, we had to do more exchanges haha because someone was being baptized and so the Hermanas that had taught her wanted to go, and they were just all over the place.  So I ended up with the English Sisters that we live with for the last half of the day, and had a great time with them! Which leads into my next first...

First time speaking Spanish without anyone there to save me! As I was with the English Sisters, we went tracting for a bit.  We knocked on one house, and started talking to a 17 year old boy there. I had the feeling that I should ask him if he spoke Spanish, but I didn't want to seem racist and be like Hey, you look Hispanic, do you speak Spanish? So I was kind of reluctant to bring it up (which by the way, DON'T do that. If the Spirit prompts you to do something follow it, no matter how weird it seems). He was about to close the door on us, when one of the little kids in the room behind him said "Esta aqui!' THEY SPOKE SPANISH! So really quickly before the door was shut, I asked him if he spoke Spanish. He said "ya...but I can speak English," and gave me the weirdest look like Hello, where have you been? We've been speaking english this whole time did you not understand me? So then I explained that I was a Spanish misisonary from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter day Saints and talked a little bit about what we do (which is exactly what the English Sisters had done before me, the only difference was that this time it was in Spanish).  He called his mom over and as she came to the door I realized... OH NO. This is all on me. Hermana C isn't here to save me if I don't understand something (which actually happens about 93% of the time).  But I wasn't alone.  The Lord was with me.  I was able to speak and understand in Spanish with this wonderful lady. We talked for a couple minutes, and I thought she was going to just say no, because she was going off about how little time she has with work (Story of everyone's lives here) but right as I was about to give up she said that her whole family back in Guatemala is Mormon and if we speak about God, she would love to meet with us! Whoohoo!!! So we're going to try to meet with her on Thursday. I'm so excited!

First interrupted lesson.  So we were teaching one of our investigators and the kids were outside and then they ran in and told us that our friend was here. We looked out the window and coming up to the trailer was a girl that none of us knew, so we were all like HUH? She came to the door, and started talking to our investigator, and turns out she's a Jehovah Witness missionary! So our investigator tells her, oh ya, i'm already meeting with you missionaries, look, here's your sisters! The lady looks at us, realizes who we are, and apologizes and leaves.  It was just so funny though because we were all so confused and it was definitely a bit awkward.  But I'm glad to know that there's other people serving the Lord and helping others come to God in the best way that they can.

And to end, another miracle: four weeks ago, the English Sisters in our apartment lost their church keys.  They were stressing out about it a lot because they felt irresponsible and annoying to the church leaders that they had to keep asking for keys.  Sister Roosendaal finally decided to pray about it on Thursday, because it was bothering her so much (lesson #1: always pray in the beginning of a problem).  The next day, we were walking out to their car, and something drops behind them. We look back, and it's their keys!!! Four weeks and there they are! It's seriously like they fell from the sky.  So ya, God answers prayers!

I hope you are all having an amazing week! My testimony about the Atonement has really grown a lot this week.  I have been listening to a song by Josh Groban that is absolutely AMAZING you should definitely listen to it sometime this week! It's either called Don't Give Up or You Are Loved or Weight of the World. I don't really know, but those are lines most repeated in the song so it's something like that.  Whenever it seems like we ar alone, Christ is there.  He knows exactly how we feel and He will always help us. 
A Dios,
Hermana Albright

No comments:

Post a Comment